Pink Aster (Callistephus Tall Paeony Duchess Pink) has large showy blooms that resemblance to chrysanthemums, with double incurved flowers.
They are great for container, garden, as well as borders and flower gardens. Excellent cut flowers.
They will bloom from summer until the first hard frost in the fall. Deadheading helps to keep the plant tidy and promotes continuous blooming.
Asters are attractive to pollinators: bees and butterflies.
Height: 28 inches
Bloom Season: Early summer to fall
Light: Full sun to partial shade
Soil Type: Well-drained, rich, deep, light soil, pH 6.0 - 6.5
Temperature: 60 - 70F
Average Germ Time: 7 - 21 days
Light Required: Yes
Depth: Cover seed with topsoil thinly after sowing
Sowing Rate: 3 - 5 seeds per plant
Moisture: Keep soil slightly moist but not wet
Plant Spacing: 18 inches
- ✅ Callistephus Asters are summer season annuals. Sow seeds indoors 6-8 weeks prior to the last frost.
- ✅ Sow 2-3 aster seeds in each pot, planting them on the top of the soil surface. Barely cover them with soil.
- ✅ Cover the pots with a layer of clear plastic wrap, which preserves moisture till the seeds sprout. Set up the tray of pots in a 70-75 Fahrenheit place that gets indirect light from sun. Asters will germinate in the dark, but they germinate quicker with some light.
- ✅ Take out the plastic wrap when sprouts come out. Move the pots to a spot that gets a minimum of 6 hrs of direct sun light; water the seedlings when the soil surface area dries out. Once the plants produce their 2nd set of leaves, thin the seedlings to ensure that only one aster remains in each pot.
- ✅ Incorporate a 2-inch garden compost layer into the top of 8 inches soil, in a well-draining outdoor bed that gets 6 hours of direct sun light daily. Transplant the asters into the bed at the very same depth they were in their pots, spacing them 18 inches apart.
- ✅ Harden the Aster plants off for 10 - 14 days before transplanting outdoors.
- ✅ Water aster plants deeply one or two times a week, giving approx 1 inch of moist each time, make sure that the top 6 inches of soil do not dry. Spread out a 2-inch layer of mulch over the bed to support preserve the soil humidity.
- ✅ Cut off spent blooms, and get rid of any plants that seem unhealthy to avoid the spread of diseases. Spritz the asters with an insecticidal soap if leafhoppers, mites or aphids end up being an issue. Leafhoppers can spread out the aster yellows infection, so they need timely control.
We're so sure that you will love our products here at Gardening Plants & Flowers, that we offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you have any issues with your order, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our GUARANTEED BEST to make things right for you.