Delphinium is a beautiful blooming plant with tall spires of blossoms that bloom all summer long.
Larkspurs bring height and color to summer garden borders with their tall spikes of colorful flowers. They prefer moist, cool summers and do not fare well in hot, dry weather.
Height: 36 - 48 inches
Bloom Season: Summer through fall
Bloom Color: Lilac, Blue, Red, Pink, White
Environment: Full sun to partial shade
Soil Type: Moist, well-drained, pH 6.1 - 7.3
PLANTING GUIDE:Temperature: 55F
Average Germ Time: 14 - 28 days
Light Required: No (darkness is required for germination)
Depth: Seeds must be covered thinly, no more than the thickness of the seed
Sowing Rate: 2 - 3 seeds per plant
Moisture: Keep seed moist until germination
Plant Spacing: 12 - 18 inches
SOWING DELPHINIUM SEEDS INDOORS:
- Start seeds indoors 8-10 weeks before last spring frost.
- Sow Delphinium seed in a seed-starting formula. Cover lightly.
- Place tray in a plastic bag in refrigerator for 2 weeks to help germination.
- Then place it in total darkness and maintain the soil temperature at 50-55F (10-12°C) until sprouted. Seeds may have poor germination if the soil temperature is above 55°F (13°C).
- As soon as seedlings emerge, provide plenty of light on a sunny windowsill.
- Delphinium seedlings do not need much fertilizer, feed when they are 3-4 weeks old using a starter solution.
- If you are growing them in small cells, you may need to transplant the seedlings to 3 or 4 inch pots when seedlings have at least 2 pairs of true leaves before transplanting to the garden so they have enough room to develop strong roots.
- Grow the transplants at 55°F (13°C) until ready to plant outside. Larkspur performs best where summers are cool.
- Before planting in the garden, seedling plants need to be “hardened off”. Accustom young plants to outdoor conditions by moving them to a sheltered place outside for a week. Be sure to protect them from wind and hot sun at first. If frost threatens at night, cover or bring containers indoors, then take them out again in the morning. This hardening off process toughens the plant’s cell structure and reduces transplant shock and scalding.
We're so sure that you will love our products here at Gardening Plants & Flowers, that we offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you have any issues with your order, simply email us at email@example.com and we'll do our GUARANTEED BEST to make things right for you.
Looks like all the seeds germinated, I have A LOT of sprouts. Planted them in January and they’re getting their first true leaves (feb). Hoping to get lots of flowers in coming months.
The seeds arrived on time and in great condition.I'm expecting to have a beautiful garden next spring.
Almost every seed I sowed sprouted. really impressed by the quality of the seeds. will order again.
Great seeds that produce lots of plants.
I'm pleased with those flowers. They grew beautiful.