Aster pompon (Callistephus Tall Pompon Hi-no-maru) with large showy pompon blooms in a mix of white with red center are great for containers, gardening, as well as borders and flower gardens. Excellent cut flowers.
They will bloom from early summer until early fall. Deadheading helps to keep the plant tidy and promotes continuous blooming.
These pompon asters are attractive to pollinators: bees and butterflies.
Average Germ Time: 7 - 21 days
Light Required: Yes
Depth: Cover seed with topsoil thinly after sowing
Sowing Rate: 3 - 5 seeds per plant
Moisture: Keep soil slightly moist but not wet
Plant Spacing: 9 - 12 inches
- ✅ Asters are summer season annuals. They grow up well in many climate environments. However, they can not endure frost or drought. Planting seeds indoors 6 weeks prior to the last frost, plus watering them effectively promote long-lasting blossoms and strong healthy plants.
- ✅ Set up 3-inch seedling pots inside a drip tray. Load each pot with potting mix up to within 1/2 inch of the pot rim. Add in 1 inch of water to the drip tray, and let the soil in the pots to soak up the water until the soil surface area gets damp, after that empty virtually any remaining water from the tray.
- ✅ Sow aster seeds by planting them on the top of the soil surface. Cover the seeds with a 1/4-inch layer of moist soil.
- ✅ Cover the pot or tray with a layer of clear plastic wrap, which preserves moisture till the seeds sprout. Set up the tray of pots in a 70-75 Fahrenheit place that gets indirect light from sun. Asters will germinate in the dark, but they germinate quicker with some light.
- ✅ Take out the plastic wrap when sprouts come out. Move the pots to a spot that gets a minimum of 6 hrs of direct sun light; water the seedlings when the soil surface area dries out. Once the plants produce their 2nd set of leaves, thin the seedlings to ensure that only one aster remains in each pot.
- ✅ Incorporate a 2-inch garden compost layer into the top of 8 inches soil, in a well-draining outdoor bed that gets 6 hours of direct sun light daily. Transplant the asters into the bed at the very same depth they were in their pots, spacing them 9 to 12 inches apart.
- ✅ Water aster pompon plants deeply one or two times a week, giving approx 1 inch of moist each time, make sure that the top 6 inches of soil do not dry. Spread out a 2-inch layer of mulch over the bed to support preserve the soil humidity.
- ✅ Cut off spent blooms, and get rid of any plants that seem unhealthy to avoid the spread of diseases. Spray the asters with an insecticidal soap if leafhoppers, mites or aphids end up being an issue. Leafhoppers can spread out the aster yellows infection, so they need timely control.
We're so sure that you will love our products here at Gardening Plants & Flowers, that we offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you have any issues with your order, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our GUARANTEED BEST to make things right for you.