Delphinium is a beautiful blooming plant with tall spires of blossoms that bloom all summer long.
Larkspurs bring height and color to summer garden borders with their tall spikes of colorful flowers. They prefer moist, cool summers and do not fare well in hot, dry weather.
Height: 36 - 48 inches
Bloom Season: Summer through fall
Bloom Color: Lilac, Blue, Red, Pink
Environment: Full sun to partial shade
Soil Type: Moist, well-drained, pH 6.1 - 7.3
PLANTING GUIDE:Temperature: 55F
Average Germ Time: 14 - 28 days
Light Required: No
Depth: Seeds must be covered thinly, no more than the thickness of the seed
Sowing Rate: 2 - 3 seeds per plant
Moisture: Keep seed moist until germination
Plant Spacing: 12 - 18 inches
SOWING DELPHINIUM SEEDS INDOORS:
- Sow seeds indoors 8-10 weeks before last spring frost.
- Sow 1/8 inch deep in seed-starting formula.
- Keep the soil moist at 70-75 degrees F.
- Seedlings emerge in 21-28 days.
- As soon as the seedlings emerge, provide plenty of light on a sunny windowsill or grow seedlings 3-4 inches beneath fluorescent plant lights turned on 16 hours per day, off for 8 hours at night. Raise the lights as the plants grow taller. Incandescent bulbs will not work for this process because they will get too hot. Most plants require a dark period to grow, do not leave lights on for 24 hours.
- Delphinium seedlings do not need much fertilizer, feed when they are 3-4 weeks old using a starter solution (half strength of a complete indoor houseplant food) according to manufacturer’s directions.
- If you are growing in small cells, you may need to transplant the seedlings to 3 or 4 inch pots when seedlings have at least 2 pairs of true leaves before transplanting to the garden so they have enough room to develop strong roots.
- Before planting in the garden, seedling plants need to be “hardened off”. Accustom young plants to outdoor conditions by moving them to a sheltered place outside for a week. Be sure to protect them from wind and hot sun at first. If frost threatens at night, cover or bring containers indoors, then take them out again in the morning. This hardening off process toughens the plant’s cell structure and reduces transplant shock and scalding.
We're so sure that you will love our products here at Gardening Plants & Flowers, that we offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you have any issues with your order, simply email us at email@example.com and we'll do our GUARANTEED BEST to make things right for you.