Red Aster (Callistephus Dwarf Milady Scarlet) with large 3 inch showy brilliant scarlet red color blooms reaching 10 inches tall, great for front borders.
These wonderful dwarf asters will bloom from summer until the first hard frost in the fall.
Deadheading helps to keep the plant tidy and promotes continuous blooming.
Asters attract pollinators: bees and butterflies.
- Scientific name: Aster
- Other Names: Callistephus Dwarf Milady Scarlet
- Season: Annual
- Color: Red Scarlet
- Height: 10 inches (25cm)
- Sow Indoors or Outdoors: Aster seeds are best started indoors 6 – 8 weeks prior to the final frost. Aster Seeds can also be sown directly outside just after the frost.
- Bloom Season: Early summer to fall
- Light: Full sun to partial shade
- Soil Type: Well-drained, rich, deep, light soil, pH 6.0 - 6.5
- Temperature: 60 - 70F
- Average Germ Time: 7 - 21 days
- Light Required: Yes
- Depth: Cover seed with topsoil thinly after sowing
- Sowing Rate: 3 - 5 seeds per plant
- Moisture: Keep soil slightly moist but not wet
- Plant Spacing: 12 inches
- ✅ Asters are summer season annuals. Sow seeds indoors 6-8 weeks prior to the last frost.
- ✅ Sow 2-3 aster seeds in each pot, planting them on the top of the soil surface. Barely cover them with soil.
- ✅ Cover the pots with a layer of clear plastic wrap, which preserves moisture till the seeds sprout. Set up the tray of pots in a 70-75 Fahrenheit place that gets indirect light from sun.
- ✅ Take out the plastic wrap when sprouts come out. Move the pots to a spot that gets a minimum of 6 hrs of direct sun light; water the seedlings when the soil surface area dries out. Once the plants produce their 2nd set of leaves, thin the seedlings to ensure that only one aster remains in each pot.
- ✅ Incorporate a 2-inch garden compost layer into the top of 8 inches soil, in a well-draining outdoor bed that gets 6 hours of direct sun light daily. Transplant the Milady asters into the bed at the very same depth they were in their pots, spacing them 12 inches apart.
- ✅ Harden the Dwarf Milady Scarlet plants off for 10 - 14 days before transplanting outdoors.
- ✅ Water Callistephus Dwarf Milady Scarlet plants deeply one or two times a week, giving approx 1 inch of moist each time, make sure that the top 6 inches of soil do not dry. Spread out a 2-inch layer of mulch over the bed to support preserve the soil humidity.
- ✅ Cut off spent blooms, and get rid of any plants that seem unhealthy to avoid the spread of diseases.
Read the Estimated Delivery Time below the Add To Cart button. Thank you for your patience!
We're so sure that you will love our products here at Gardening Plants & Flowers, that we offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you have any issues with your order, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our GUARANTEED BEST to make things right for you.